If you are interested in working in a Midwestern state which offers plenty of opportunity in the field of dental hygiene, you will want to consider Missouri. Missouri is the 18th most populous state in the US, and is known as “The Show Me State.”
Missouri is a land of great geographic diversity. Three major rivers intersect in Missouri: the Mississippi, Missouri, and Ohio. What is there to see and do? The most famous landmark in Missouri is undoubtedly the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. This soaring arch is a unique and unforgettable architectural landmark which defines the city’s skyline. Also in St. Louis are the Missouri Botanical Garden and the St. Louis Zoo. Other exciting landmarks throughout the state include the Sight & Sound Theatre in Branson and the Ha Ha Tonka State Park.
Professional sports teams in Missouri include the St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, Kansas City Chiefs, St. Louis Rams, and the St. Louis Blues.
Dental Hygienist Salary in Missouri
How much money can you make working as a dental hygienist in Missouri? First, you should note that the annual median pay for dental hygienists across the country is $70,080 per year according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). This comes out to $33.69 on an hourly basis.
The pay in Missouri is comparable. The median annual pay comes out to $69,050, while the hourly pay amounts to $33.20. So you will be making around the same amount as dental hygienists throughout the United States.
What about demand? This is a very fast-growing field according to reports from the BLS. The field is growing at a rate of 20%. This is much faster than most other occupations. So there has never been a better time to consider becoming a dental hygienist in Missouri.
|Area Name||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|Central Missouri nonmetropolitan area||160||27.99||58210|
|North Missouri nonmetropolitan area||80||31.78||66100|
|Southeast Missouri nonmetropolitan area||150||25.57||53180|
|Southwest Missouri nonmetropolitan area||40||31.42||65360|
Should you decide to become a dental hygienist in this state, what requirements will you have to fulfill?
- You will need to graduate from an accredited program in dental hygiene offered in the state of Missouri.
- You will need to take and pass the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination.
- Missouri also requires that you pass a number of different clinical exams. These include the CITA, CRDTS, CDCA, SRTA, and WREB.
- This state requires CPR certification.
- Missouri does not offer a temporary license, teacher license, or retired/inactive license.
- Two years of practice are required.
- You will need to provide transcripts from the schools you have attended, as well as letters of reference. Additionally, you will need to pass a background check. If you have committed a felony or serious misdemeanor in the past, the board may deny you licensure. Furthermore, if it is discovered that you have ever failed a clinical exam or that action has been taken against you pertaining to licensure or CPR, you may not be eligible to work as a dental hygienist in Missouri.
Missouri Dental Hygiene Programs
Excited at the thought of living and working as a dental hygienist in Missouri? Then you will need to pick a school in the state which offers an accredited program in dental hygiene. You may find a comprehensive list of all such programs below, as well as their contact information. We hope that this list helps you get off to a great start with your education and future career!
|Concorde Career College-Kansas City||3239 Broadway Blvd.|
Kansas City, MO 64111
|Missouri Southern State University||3950 E. Newman Road|
Joplin, MO 64801
|North Central Missouri College/Hillyard Technical Center||3434 Faraon Street|
St. Joseph, MO 64506
|Ozarks Technical Community College||1001 E. Chestnut Expressway Springfield, MO 65802||www.otc.edu||AAS|
|St. Louis Community College-Forest Park||5600 Oakland Avenue|
St. Louis, MO 63110
|State Fair Community College||3201 West 16th Street|
Sedalia, MO 65301
|University of Missouri-Kansas City||650 E. 25th St.|
Kansas City, MO 64108