Bordered by the Pacific ocean and dominated by the majestic peaks of the Cascades, Oregon is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts. It is home to famous destinations like Mount Hood and Crater Lake National Park, and features a world-class coastline where high cliffs tower over shining waves.
Major cities in Oregon include Portland, Salem, and Eugene. Salem is the capital, but Portland is the largest city by far, with a population of more than 600,000. Portland is known for its eco-friendly design and development, and has regularly received awards for its green urban planning.
Whatever you are into, you will find plenty to entertain you while living and working as a dental hygienist in Oregon. Visit the Oregon Museum of Science or the Portland Art Museum, or visit the famous Ira Keller Fountain Park. Be sure to check out some of Portland’s famous parks and garden as well, like Washington Park and the Portland Japanese Garden.
Excited to move to Oregon and work as a dental hygienist? Let’s find out how much you could make here and what the job outlook is like.
Dental Hygienist Salary in Oregon
Nationwide, dental hygienists are making a mean annual salary of $73,440 according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The field is expanding rapidly at a rate of 20%, which means that many jobs will be opening up in the near future.
Oregon employs around 3,630 dental hygienists. These hygienists are making an average of around $85,280 per year. While this is slightly higher than the nationwide average, consider that the cost of living in Oregon is also slightly higher in some respects, especially downtown. Oregon has some of the higher state taxes you will encounter, though happily there is no sales tax. So all in all, when these factors are taken into account, the salary is probably comparable to the nationwide average.
|Area Name||Employment||Hourly mean wage||Annual mean wage|
|Albany|| 90|| 38.43|| 79930
|Bend, Redmond|| -|| 41.73|| 86800
|Central Oregon nonmetropolitan area|| 100|| 40.18|| 83570
|Coast Oregon nonmetropolitan area|| 190|| 40.02|| 83240
|Corvallis|| -|| 45.01|| 93620
|Eastern Oregon nonmetropolitan area|| 120|| 40.11|| 83430
|Eugene|| 190|| 36.65|| 76230
|Grants Pass|| 90|| 40.51|| 84250
|Medford|| 300|| 41.94|| 87230
|Portland, Vancouver, Hillsboro|| 2590|| 41.02|| 85310
|Salem|| 340|| 40.33|| 83880
If you want to work as a dental hygienist in Oregon, you will need to get your state license. How do you do that? You will need to meet these requirements:
- Submit your application form and pay the required fee of $180. You must also pay the $5 OHWI Data Collection Fee. Note that there is a biennial licensing fee of $225.
- Provide documentation required to verify your identity.
- Graduate from a dental hygiene program accredited by the American Dental Association (ADA). Your school will need to send your transcript directly to the board.
- Complete and pass the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination. Note that you must submit the scores to the board yourself.
- Verify any existing license you hold.
- Complete and pass a clinical examination (this requirement must be completed within five years of the date you submit your application). The test may be administered by ADEX, CRDTS, NERB, SRTA, or WREB.
- Complete the fingerprint Live Scan background check.
- Take and pass the open book Jurisprudence Examination.
- Submit a photocopy of your Health Care Provider BLS/CPR or equivalent.
Oregon Dental Hygiene Programs
If you are ready to take the first step to becoming an Oregon dental hygienist, then you will need to select a school. Following is a list of accredited schools in Oregon which are offering dental hygiene programs.
|Lane Community College||4000 E. 30th Avenue|
Eugene, OR 97405
|Mt. Hood Community College||26000 SE Stark Street|
Gresham, OR 97030
|Oregon Institute of Technology – Klamath Falls||2301 Campus Drive|
Klamath Falls, OR 97601
|Oregon Institute of Technology - Salem||P.O Box 14007|
Salem, OR 97309
|Pacific University||222 SE 8th Ave., Suite 271|
Hillsboro, OR 97123
|Portland Community College||12000 SW 49th Ave., HT 206|
Portland, OR 97219